Part A: Daily Math Skills
Step 1: Complete Thursday of Daily Math Week 3.
Step 2: Practice your addition skills HERE
Step 3: Practice your subtraction skills HERE
Part B: Daily Language Skills
Step 1: Complete Thursday of Daily Language Week 3.
Part C: Story Time
Today, we’re going to…
• Read aloud or watch a video about the story, based on a Chinese folktale about an emperor who holds a contest for the children of his empire called The Empty Pot by Demi
Step 1: Before Reading Discussion Starters
Consider asking the following…
• Look at the cover. What do you think the story will be about?
• What is an Emperor?
Step 2: Read The Empty Pot by Demi
If you have the book The Empty Pot read it aloud to your child.
For those of you who do not have the book, watch the following video.
Step 3: Post Reading Discussion Starters
• Where does the story take place?
• The Emperor held a contest to find the next Emperor or leader of China
• Do you think the Emperor made a good choice for his successor? Explain your thinking.
• What qualities do you think a person needs to be a good leader? Explain your ideas with examples from The Empty Pot. (Discuss traits like courage, honesty, determination, care etc.)
• Why do think the Emperor made up the contest?
Step 4: If I Were an Emperor / Empress
Have you ever wondered what you would do if you were chosen to be Emperor or Empress? Have fun thinking about what you would do! Draw a detailed picture to go along with your ideas.
Print the following page and discuss with your child what they would do if they were Emperor or Empress. Encourage and guide them to write out their ideas. Remember to use the checklist!
CLICK TO VIEW EMPEROR / EMPRESS PAGE
Part D: Get Creative – Draw a Flower
Wow! You’re making great progress – you should very proud of yourself.
Next, onto drawing and colouring your own flower. What kind of flower is it? Share what makes your flower special. Don’t forget to add lots of detail to your picture!
CLICK TO VIEW FLOWER DRAWING AND COLOURING PAGE
Part E: Learn Some Chinese
Impress your family by learning this greeting song in Mandarin!
Listen and practise the song by clicking on the link below.
Fantastic effort! If you would like to learn more Chinese check out the video by clicking on the link below.