Are you tired of the daily homework battle with your 6-11 year old? Do you find yourself reminding them every night to complete their assignments? Having a homework schedule can be a game-changer for both you and your child. In this blog, we will discuss the benefits of having a homework schedule and how it can make a positive impact on your child’s academic success.
- Helps with Time Management: One of the key benefits of having a homework schedule is that it helps your child learn time management skills. By allocating specific times for homework, your child can better manage their time and prioritize their tasks. This will also prevent the last-minute rush to complete assignments, which can lead to mistakes and frustration.
- Creates a Consistent Routine: Children thrive on routine and structure. A consistent homework schedule will provide them with the structure they need to succeed academically. When they know that they have a set time for homework each day, it becomes a part of their daily routine, and they are more likely to complete their assignments without resistance.
- Helps with Accountability: Having a homework schedule holds your child accountable for their academic responsibilities. By setting specific times for homework, your child will know that they are expected to complete their assignments during those times. This will help them take ownership of their academic success and instill a sense of responsibility.
- Reduces Stress and Anxiety: Homework can be a significant source of stress and anxiety for children. By having a homework schedule, you can help reduce this stress by breaking down assignments into manageable chunks. This will also prevent the last-minute rush to complete assignments, which can lead to a stressful environment for both you and your child.
- Improves Academic Performance: Research shows that having a consistent homework schedule can improve academic performance. According to a study published in the Journal of Educational Psychology, students who consistently complete homework perform better in school than those who do not have a regular schedule. This is because having a consistent routine and structure helps children develop good study habits and time management skills.
Having a homework schedule can make a significant difference in your child’s academic success. It helps with time management, creates a consistent routine, holds your child accountable, reduces stress and anxiety, and improves academic performance. By implementing a homework schedule, you can provide your child with the structure they need to succeed academically and reduce the daily homework battle. Give it a try and see the positive impact it can make!
Fan, H., Xu, J., Cai, Z., & He, J. (2017). Homework and students’ achievement in math and science: A 30-year meta-analysis, 1986–2015. Journal of Educational Psychology, 109(4), 431-449. doi: 10.1037/edu0000165.
Grab some great resources for your homework schedule here!