Read the Following Selection
Read the following selection, or click on the play button below to listen aloud.
Your Body Needs Water
Lots of things happen in your body. Your brain thinks. Your muscles make you move. Your heart pumps blood. All parts of your body need water to work well.
Your Body Loses Water
The water you drink does not stay inside your body. Water comes out of your skin when you sweat. The tears you cry are made of water.
Your body loses water when you go to the bathroom. Your body also loses water in your breath. There is water vapour in your breath. You can see the water vapour in your breath on a cold day. The water vapour looks like steam in the air.
Liquids You Drink Contain Water
You do not have to drink water to put water in your body. All liquids you drink have water in them. Drinking water, milk, and juice are healthy ways to put more water in your body. Make sure you drink something six to eight times each day.
Your Body Tells You When You Need Water
Your body has ways to tell you when you need water. You get thirsty. Your skin might feel dry and itchy. You might get chapped lips. Chapped lips feel dry and crusty.
Drink water and other liquids before you get thirsty. Then your body will not have to tell you that you need more water.
Now, show what you know!
Complete some questions about the reading selection by clicking “Begin Questions” below.
0 of 5 questions completed
You have already completed this activity. You cannot start it again.
Activity is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to take this activity.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 5 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed.
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Score: of ()
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. Why does your body need water?CorrectIncorrect
2. Complete each sentence by matching one or two words from the text.
Water that comes out of your eyes is called…
Water that comes out of your skin is called…
Water in your breath is called…
3. Why does drinking milk or juice put water in your body?CorrectIncorrect
4. Read about Kurt. Then answer the questions below. Kurt just finished playing soccer. He ran fast. Now he is trying to catch his breath. His face is wet with sweat. Kurt does not feel thirsty.
Should Kurt drink water?CorrectIncorrect
5. If your skin feels dry and itchy it means your body needs water. Is this true or false?CorrectIncorrect