How to share this Lesson/Activity with your Google Classroom:
- To share this lesson/activity with Google Classroom, click "Continue with Google" to get started.
- After logging in, click "Add to Google Classroom" to assign this lesson/activity to your students.
Read the Following Selection
Read the following selection, or click on the play button below to listen aloud.
The next time you see a worm, say “Thank you!” Why? Worms help soil and plants in many ways.
Worm waste is called castings. What is so great about worm castings? They are great fertilizer for plants.
Worms eat soil because it contains pieces of things that were living. (There are a lot of nutrients in dead things.) The castings that worms leave behind are full of nutrients. The nutrients in castings mix easily with water. Plant roots can take in the nutrients that are mixed in that water.
Worms sometimes come out of the ground. They can bite grass and drag it underground to eat. Worms help put more living things into the soil.
Worms make tunnels as they move through soil. The tunnels fill with air.
Worm tunnels bring more air to different parts of the soil. Plant roots need air, so worm tunnels are good for plants.
Worm tunnels can also help water drain through soil. Water can run quickly through worm tunnels. The tunnels help to bring water deep into the soil. This is especially helpful to plants growing in soil that drains slowly.
Now you know why gardeners are happy to find worms in garden soil. The worms make the soil better for growing plants.
Now, show what you know!
Complete some questions about the reading selection by clicking “Begin Questions” below.
0 of 5 questions completed
You have already completed this activity. You cannot start it again.
Activity is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to take this activity.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 5 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed.
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Score: of ()
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. Worms eat dead things in soil. How does that help plants?CorrectIncorrect
2. Worms help put more living things into the soil.CorrectIncorrect
3. How are worm tunnels good for plants?CorrectIncorrect
4. Think about worm tunnels. Think about soil that drains slowly. How can worm tunnels help soil that drains slowly?
Great answer!Great answer!
Type your response above.
5. Fill in the blank using information from the text.
Gardeners are to find worms in garden soil.