How to share this Lesson/Activity with your Google Classroom:
- To share this lesson/activity with Google Classroom, click "Continue with Google" to get started.
- After logging in, click "Add to Google Classroom" to assign this lesson/activity to your students.
How to share this Lesson/Activity with Microsoft Teams:
- To share this lesson/activity with Microsof Teams, click "Continue with Microsoft" to get started.
- After logging in, click "Add to Microsoft Teams" to assign this lesson/activity to your students.
Read the Following Selection
Read the following selection, or click on the play button below to listen aloud.
Women Voting in Canada
Did you know Canadian women still might not have the right to vote if it were not for the nurses who risked their lives in World War I? Canadian women began to insist on the right to vote around 1910. Their demand to vote resulted in riots, arrests, and prison time for some women. Then, in the 1917 election, Prime Minister Robert Borden wanted to make sure his government would be elected. At the time, many men were fighting for Canada in the World War. As a result, the required drafting of men into the armed forces became a very important issue in the election. Prime Minister Borden thought the best way to guarantee winning the election would be by giving the right to vote to women who were nurses serving overseas. He also gave the right to vote to the wives, mothers, and sisters of servicemen. As a result, Prime Minister Borden won the election! People also began to realize that women had the right to have a say in their government.
Now, show what you know!
Complete some questions about the reading selection by clicking “Begin Questions” below.
0 of 1 questions completed
You have already completed this activity. You cannot start it again.
Activity is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to take this activity.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 1 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed.
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Score: of ()
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. Why is it important to allow men and women to vote? Use information from the text and your own ideas.
Great answer!Great answer!
Type your response above.