How to share this Lesson/Activity with your Google Classroom:
- To share this lesson/activity with Google Classroom, click "Continue with Google" to get started.
- After logging in, click "Add to Google Classroom" to assign this lesson/activity to your students.
Read the Following Selection
Read about wolves and dogs, or click on the play button below to listen aloud.
Wolves and Dogs
A wolf looks like a big dog, but wolves and dogs are different animals. Wolves and dogs are the same in some ways, but they are different in other ways.
What They Look Like
Adult dogs can be different sizes — small, medium-size, or large. All adult wolves are about the same size. Adult dogs and adult wolves both have 42 teeth. Wolves have larger and stronger teeth than dogs.
Most dogs have brown eyes, but a few dogs have blue eyes. All wolves have eyes that are a golden-brown colour called amber.
Things They Do
Both dogs and wolves use their voices to make sounds. Dogs usually bark when they make sounds. A bark is a short sound like woof. Wolves usually howl. A howl is a long sound like ah-ooooo.
Wolves are shy animals. They do not like to be around people. If they see people coming, they will usually run away. Dogs love to be around people. They can get lonely when there are no people around.
Both dogs and wolves have more than one baby at a time. A group of babies born at the same time is called a litter. Young dogs and wolves are called pups or puppies.
Now, show what you know!
Complete some questions about the reading selection by clicking “Begin Questions” below.
Brain Stretch: Find an Internet video of one or more wolves howling.
0 of 5 questions completed
You have already completed this activity. You cannot start it again.
Activity is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to take this activity.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 5 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed.
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Score: of ()
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. Wolves do not like to be around people. What does this tell you about wolves?CorrectIncorrect
2. What is the golden-brown colour of a wolf’s eyes called?CorrectIncorrect
3. Choose each piece of information that is true about dogs and wolves.CorrectIncorrect
A cause is something that makes something happen. It answers the question “why did this happen.”
An effect is what happened as a result of the cause. It answers the question “what happened.”
4. Which sentence tells the cause? Which sentence tells the effect? Drag each sentence to the correct spot.
- Wolves are shy animals.
- Wolves run away from people.
5. Fill in the blank using information from the text.
Young dogs and wolves are called or .