How to share this Lesson/Activity with your Google Classroom:
- To share this lesson/activity with Google Classroom, click "Continue with Google" to get started.
- After logging in, click "Add to Google Classroom" to assign this lesson/activity to your students.
Read the Following Selection
Read the following selection, or click on the play button below to listen aloud.
What Does an Architect Do?
Architects are people who plan new buildings. Before construction workers can start a building, they need to have a plan to follow.
The first thing an architect does is talk to the person who wants the building. That person is called the client. The architect finds out what kind of building the client wants. Will it be a house, a store, an office building, a hospital, a sports arena, a shopping mall, or a school?
Next, the architect finds out what needs to be inside the building. For a house, the architect needs to know what rooms are needed. For example, how many bedrooms and bathrooms are needed?
The architect might make some quick sketches to show ideas for the building. Some sketches show what the outside of the building will look like. Other sketches show where each room will be and how big it will be. The client looks at the sketches and might ask for changes. Then the architect makes new sketches showing the changes the client asked for.
When architects design a building they make sure
• The building is safe for people to use.
• The building meets the needs it was designed for.
• The building has a pleasing appearance.
The plan to the right shows some of the symbols an architect uses when they design a house. In the upper right room, there is a countertop, a cooktop, a sink, and a refrigerator. In the lower left room, there is a bathtub, a toilet, and a sink. What rooms did the architect draw?
Now, show what you know!
Complete some questions about the reading selection by clicking “Begin Questions” below.
0 of 5 questions completed
You have already completed this activity. You cannot start it again.
Activity is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to take this activity.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 5 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed.
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Score: of ()
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. Why does an architect need to plan a building before construction can start?CorrectIncorrect
2. What are two things an architect needs to find out before starting to plan a building? Choose all that apply.CorrectIncorrect
3. An architect planning a school will ask, “About how many students will be in each classroom?”
Why does the architect need this information?
Great answer!Great answer!
Type your response above.
4. Fill in the blank using information from the text.
The architect might make some quick to show ideas for the building.
5. Architects need to be able to draw so they can make quick sketches of their ideas for the client.CorrectIncorrect