How to share this Lesson/Activity with your Google Classroom:
- To share this lesson/activity with Google Classroom, click "Continue with Google" to get started.
- After logging in, click "Add to Google Classroom" to assign this lesson/activity to your students.
Read the Following Selection
Read the following selection, or click on the play button below to listen aloud.
What Does a School Custodian Do?
Every school needs a custodian. The custodian makes sure that the school is clean, safe, and nice for everyone. Mr. Jones is a school custodian. Read about some of the jobs he does at his school.
All Around the School
Mr. Jones cleans all the floors. He mops and shines the hard floors. He vacuums floors that have carpet. Mr. Jones also keeps the windows clean. He wipes away finger marks on doors and walls.
In winter, Mr. Jones makes sure the school is nice and warm. All year long, he checks for light bulbs that have burned out. He takes out the old light bulbs and puts in new ones. The students need light to see well.
Mr. Jones empties the wastebasket. He also empties the pencil sharpener. Once each week, he washes the chalkboards and marker boards. Then he wipes away any dust he finds in the classroom.
Mr. Jones cleans the drinking fountain and makes sure it works. He wipes up any water on the floor. Someone might slip on a wet floor.
Mr. Jones cleans sinks, mirrors, and toilets. He checks the toilet paper and paper towels. Then he makes sure that all the toilets flush.
Now, show what you know!
Complete some questions about the reading selection by clicking “Begin Questions” below.
0 of 5 questions completed
You have already completed this activity. You cannot start it again.
Activity is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to take this activity.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 5 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed.
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Score: of ()
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. What is one way that Mr. Jones cleans hard floors?CorrectIncorrect
2. Why is checking the lights an important job?CorrectIncorrect
3. What might Mr. Jones use to help him change a light in the hallway of a school?CorrectIncorrect
4. What is one job Mr. Jones does to keep people safe?CorrectIncorrect
5. Choose if the following statement is a fact or opinion: Every school needs a custodian.CorrectIncorrect