How to share this Lesson/Activity with your Google Classroom:
- To share this lesson/activity with Google Classroom, click "Continue with Google" to get started.
- After logging in, click "Add to Google Classroom" to assign this lesson/activity to your students.
Read the Following Selection
Read the following selection, or click on the play button below to listen aloud.
What Does a Pharmacist Do?
Pharmacists work with medicines. If you are sick, the doctor might want you to take a special kind of medicine called a prescription medicine. People can buy prescription medicines only if their doctor has given permission. Prescription medicines are sold at a drug store.
Pharmacists work in drug stores. They are experts in different types of medicines. They have learned how each type of medicine helps people get better.
Pharmacists make sure you get the right amount of the prescription medicine your doctor wants you to take. They put a label on the medicine to tell you how much to take and how often to take it.
Sometimes, a pharmacist has to make medicines. For example, a pharmacist might make a cream to spread on a rash. The doctor will tell the pharmacist what to put in the cream.
Drug stores also sell medicines that are not prescription medicines. People do not need a doctor’s permission to buy these types of medicines. A pharmacist can help people choose the best medicine to help them feel better.
Pharmacists also help people stay safe when they are taking medicine. For example, a pharmacist might say, “This medicine might make you sleepy. Do not drive a car after taking this medicine.”
Not all pharmacists work in drug stores. Some work in hospitals, and some work in nursing homes.
Now, show what you know!
Complete some questions about the reading selection by clicking “Begin Questions” below.
0 of 5 questions completed
You have already completed this activity. You cannot start it again.
Activity is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to take this activity.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 5 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed.
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Score: of ()
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. What do people need before they can buy a prescription medicine?CorrectIncorrect
2. It can be dangerous to take too much of a medicine or to take it too often.
How do pharmacists help to make sure people take prescription medicines correctly?CorrectIncorrect
3. Frank has a cough, but he does not feel sick enough to go to a doctor. How could a pharmacist help Frank?CorrectIncorrect
4. Why is it a good idea for hospitals to have pharmacists?
Great answer!Great answer!
Type your response above.
5. Fill in the blank using information from the text.
Pharmacists work in drug stores. They are in different types of medicines.