How to share this Lesson/Activity with your Google Classroom:
- To share this lesson/activity with Google Classroom, click "Continue with Google" to get started.
- After logging in, click "Add to Google Classroom" to assign this lesson/activity to your students.
Read the Following Selection
Read the following selection, or click on the play button below to listen aloud.
What Does a Carpenter Do?
A carpenter uses tools to join together pieces of wood to build structures.
Before carpenters can start building, they need to have a plan to follow. The plan is a diagram of the structure they are going to build. The diagram gives all the measurements of the structure. Carpenters use the plan to figure out how much wood they will need, what size and shape each piece of wood needs to be, and what tools will be needed.
Building with Tools
Carpenters use power tools and hand tools. Power tools get their power from electricity. Examples of power tools are electric saws, drills, and sanders. Hand tools do not use electricity. Carpenters use their muscles for power when they use hand tools such as hammers and hand saws.
Types of Carpenters
Carpenters are divided into different categories, depending on the type of work they do. Construction carpenters work on building large structures, such as new homes, office buildings, and stores. Residential carpenters work on homes that have already been built. They might put new wood floors in a house, repair the roof, or add a deck to the back of the house. Furniture makers build different types of wooden furniture. For example, if you want new kitchen cupboards, a bookshelf, or a table, a furniture maker can make what you need in the exact size and shape that you want.
Here are some examples of skills that carpenters need:
• Math skills: Carpenters use math skills when they add, subtract, multiply, or divide different measurements.
• Safety skills: Carpenters need to know how to use tools safely.
• Drawing skills: When furniture makers design a new piece of furniture, they make a drawing to show the customer what it will look like.
Now, show what you know!
Complete some questions about the reading selection by clicking “Begin Questions” below.
0 of 5 questions completed
You have already completed this activity. You cannot start it again.
Activity is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to take this activity.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 5 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed.
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Score: of ()
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1.The text mentions electric saws, drills, and sanders.
Why did the author provide these examples of tools?CorrectIncorrect
2. Power tools need electricity to work. Hand tools also need a source of energy to do work.
Where does this energy come from?CorrectIncorrect
3. Which type of carpenter would you need for building a bridge?CorrectIncorrect
4.The word residential comes from the word residence.
Use information from the text and your own ideas to write a definition of residence.
Great answer!Great answer!
Type your response above.
5. Fill in the blank using information from the text.
A carpenters plan is a of the structure they are going to build.