How to share this Lesson/Activity with your Google Classroom:
- To share this lesson/activity with Google Classroom, click "Continue with Google" to get started.
- After logging in, click "Add to Google Classroom" to assign this lesson/activity to your students.
Read the Following Selection
Read the following selection, or click on the play button below to listen aloud.
Wash Your Hands
Germs are all around you. Most of the time, your body fights germs so you do not get sick from them. But sometimes germs do make us sick. Washing your hands with soap gets rid of germs.
Anything you touch could have germs on it. The germs stick to your fingers. If you touch your mouth, nostrils, or eyes, the germs could get into your body. If you are eating a sandwich, germs could spread from your fingers to the bread. When you eat the bread, the germs go into your body. Washing your hands with soap gets rid of germs before they get into you!
Helping Others Stay Healthy
If you are sick, you might blow your nose a lot. You might cough or sneeze into your hands. Germs from your body can get onto your hands. You could spread the germs when you touch something. Someone else might get those germs and get sick.
How to Wash Your Hands
Use warm water and lots of soap. Scrub for 30 seconds. Remember to wash both sides of your hands and between your fingers. If you sing the “Happy Birthday” song twice, you will know when 30 seconds are up. (Do not sing it too quickly!) Then rinse your hands with lots of water and dry them off. Use a clean towel, paper towel, or a machine that blows warm air.
Using Hand Sanitizer
Hand sanitizer is a liquid that kills germs. People use it when they are not able to wash their hands with soap. Use enough hand sanitizer to make both sides of your hands wet. Then rub it in until it dries.
Now, show what you know!
Complete some questions about the reading selection by clicking “Begin Questions” below.
0 of 5 questions completed
You have already completed this activity. You cannot start it again.
Activity is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to take this activity.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 5 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed.
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Score: of ()
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. If germs are all around us, why do we not get sick all the time?CorrectIncorrect
2. Leon likes to help his dad make dinner for the family. Why do they always wash their hands first?CorrectIncorrect
3. If you wash your hands with soap and dry them with a dirty towel, your hands might still have germs on them. Tell why.
Great answer!Great answer!
Type your response above.
4. If you cough, is it better to cover your mouth with the inside of your elbow, or to cough into your hand?CorrectIncorrect
5. Fill in the blank using information from the text.
Hand sanitizer is a that kills germs.