How to share this Lesson/Activity with your Google Classroom:
- To share this lesson/activity with Google Classroom, click "Continue with Google" to get started.
- After logging in, click "Add to Google Classroom" to assign this lesson/activity to your students.
Read the Following Selection
Read about clocks, or click on the play button below to listen aloud.
There are two main kinds of clocks—analogue (say it like this: a-nuh-log) and digital. Both kinds of clocks use numbers to tell the time. An analogue clock has numbers placed in a circle. The hands point to different numbers as they move around the circle. We tell the time by looking at which numbers the hands are pointing to.
A digital clock does not have numbers placed in a circle, and it does not have hands that point to numbers. A digital clock shows only the numbers that tell what time it is right now.
Some clocks are alarm clocks. They make a sound to wake people up. People set the alarm to tell the clock what time they want to wake up. When that time comes, the alarm automatically goes off. Both analogue clocks and digital clocks can be alarm clocks.
Some alarm clocks make a very loud sound. Some people do not like to be startled by a very loud sound when they are sleeping. These people can buy clocks with an alarm that starts buzzing or beeping softly when it goes off. The alarm sound slowly gets louder in case the soft sound does not wake people up.
Many machines that we use every day have a clock. For example, you can find a clock on a cellphone, a computer, a microwave, or a stove. If you have cable TV in your home, the cable box probably has a clock. You will also find a clock inside a car. There are clocks all around us so it is easy to see what time it is.
Now, show what you know!
Complete some questions about the reading selection by clicking “Begin Questions” below.
0 of 5 questions completed
You have already completed this activity. You cannot start it again.
Activity is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to take this activity.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 5 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed.
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Score: of ()
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. Which clocks show only the numbers that tell what time it is right now.CorrectIncorrect
2. Choose the pieces of information that are true about both digital and analogue clocks.CorrectIncorrect
A cause is something that makes something happen. It answers the question “why did this happen.”
An effect is what happened as a result of the cause. It answers the question “what happened.”
3. Which sentence tells the cause? Which sentence tells the effect? Drag each sentence to the correct spot.
- A person sets the alarm on an alarm clock.
- The alarm goes off when the person wants to get up.
4. The sound of a loud alarm can startle someone who is sleeping. What does startle mean?CorrectIncorrect
5. Fill in the blank using information from the text.
An analogue clock has numbers placed in a .