How to share this Lesson/Activity with your Google Classroom:
- To share this lesson/activity with Google Classroom, click "Continue with Google" to get started.
- After logging in, click "Add to Google Classroom" to assign this lesson/activity to your students.
How to share this Lesson/Activity with Microsoft Teams:
- To share this lesson/activity with Microsof Teams, click "Continue with Microsoft" to get started.
- After logging in, click "Add to Microsoft Teams" to assign this lesson/activity to your students.
Read the Following Selection
Read the following selection, or click on the play button below to listen aloud.
The Wright Brothers
The Wright brothers were Orville and Wilbur. They built and flew the first plane. They made the first flight on record in 1903. Over the years, they worked to make better planes. Their work helped others make the planes we see today.
Orville and Wilbur read many books. They loved to work on science projects. They made a printing press. Then they opened a bike shop. These projects helped them be better designers.
They made a heavier-than-air plane. It had a light engine. They made the plane so they could control it in the air.
The First Flight
In 1903, they flew their plane at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. Kitty Hawk had sand dunes so they could land softly. Orville was the pilot. Wilbur ran beside the wing. The first flight took 12 seconds at a speed of 11 kilometres per hour!
Over the years, they made better planes. In 1908, they made their longest flight. It was 2 hours and 19 minutes long.
You can visit the Wright Flyer in the National Air and Space Museum in Washington, D.C.
Now, show what you know!
Complete some questions about the reading selection by clicking “Begin Questions” below.
0 of 5 questions completed
You have already completed this activity. You cannot start it again.
Activity is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to take this activity.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 5 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed.
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Score: of ()
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. What is the most important event in this text?CorrectIncorrect
2. What does the author want you to learn from this text?CorrectIncorrect
3. Which subheading would you look under to learn about the Wright brother’s past?CorrectIncorrect
4. How long did the first flight take?CorrectIncorrect
5. You can visit the Wright Flyer in the National Air and Space Museum in Washington, D.C. Is this true or false?CorrectIncorrect