How to share this Lesson/Activity with your Google Classroom:
- To share this lesson/activity with Google Classroom, click "Continue with Google" to get started.
- After logging in, click "Add to Google Classroom" to assign this lesson/activity to your students.
Read the Following Selection
Read the following selection, or click on the play button below to listen aloud.
The Tricky Turtle
Based On An African Tale
A farmer went to check his field of corn. He was happy to see the corn growing tall. Then he saw a spot where the corn was not tall. The corn plants were broken and lying on the ground. A turtle was sleeping on the broken corn.
“Turtle, you are in trouble,” said the farmer. “Look what you did! I will put you in a pot and make hot turtle soup.”
“Yes, cook me if you wish,” said the turtle. “But please do not throw me in the river.”
“If you are not afraid of fire, I will tie you to a tree,” said the farmer.
“Yes, tie me to a tree,” said the turtle. “But please do not throw me in the river.”
“You are not afraid of rope,” said the farmer. “I will put you in a deep hole. You will not be able to crawl out.”
“Yes, put me in a hole,” said the turtle. “But please, oh please, do not throw me in the river.”
“You are not afraid of fire,” said the farmer. “You are not afraid of rope, and you are not afraid of a hole. You are only afraid of the river. I will throw you in the river.”
The farmer threw the turtle in the river. The turtle swam away. The turtle never went back to sleep in the farmer’s field of corn.
Now, show what you know!
Complete some questions about the reading selection by clicking “Begin Questions” below.
0 of 5 questions completed
You have already completed this activity. You cannot start it again.
Activity is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to take this activity.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 5 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed.
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Score: of ()
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. How did the farmer’s corn plants get broken?CorrectIncorrect
2. How was the farmer going to make the turtle soup hot?CorrectIncorrect
3. Was the turtle afraid of the river?CorrectIncorrect
4. What trick did the turtle play on the farmer?CorrectIncorrect
5. How do you know that this is not a true story?CorrectIncorrect