How to share this Lesson/Activity with your Google Classroom:
- To share this lesson/activity with Google Classroom, click "Continue with Google" to get started.
- After logging in, click "Add to Google Classroom" to assign this lesson/activity to your students.
Read the Following Selection
Read the following selection, or click on the play button below to listen aloud.
What Is the Sun?
The Sun is a star, just like the stars we see in the night sky. The Sun looks much bigger and brighter than other stars because it is much closer to Earth.
Where Is the Sun?
The Sun is at the centre of our solar system. All the planets travel around the Sun. The distance from Earth to the Sun is about 150 million km.
Why Does the Sun Shine?
Stars are balls of burning gases. As the gases burn, they give off light. We see the Sun and other stars because the light travels through space to Earth.
How Big Is the Sun?
The sun is huge compared to Earth. If the Sun were hollow, over a million planet Earths would fit inside it. But the Sun is not very big compared to some stars. The Sun is a medium-sized star. Some stars are much bigger than the Sun, and some are much smaller.
Why Do We Need the Sun?
Without the Sun, there would be no life on Earth. Our planet would be too cold for people, plants, and animals to survive. Plants also need the Sun’s light to stay alive. People and animals need plants for food.
The Sun and You
• Do not look right at the Sun. It is so bright that it can harm your eyes.
• Wear sunscreen on sunny days so the Sun does not burn your skin.
• Spend time outside on sunny days. Sunshine helps your body make vitamin D to keep you healthy.
Now, show what you know!
Complete some questions about the reading selection by clicking “Begin Questions” below.
0 of 5 questions completed
You have already completed this activity. You cannot start it again.
Activity is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to take this activity.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 5 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed.
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Score: of ()
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. Why do people say that the Sun is at the centre of our solar system?CorrectIncorrect
2. How big is the Sun compared to all the other stars?CorrectIncorrect
3. What fact in the text tells one way all planets are the same?CorrectIncorrect
4. People need sunshine to help their bodies make vitamin D.CorrectIncorrect
5. Fill in the blank using information from the text.
Stars are balls of gases.