How to share this Lesson/Activity with your Google Classroom:
- To share this lesson/activity with Google Classroom, click "Continue with Google" to get started.
- After logging in, click "Add to Google Classroom" to assign this lesson/activity to your students.
Read the Following Selection
Read the following selection, or click on the play button below to listen aloud.
The Hudson Bay Lowlands
The Hudson Bay Lowlands are located around the southern part of Hudson Bay and James Bay, and includes parts of Manitoba, northern Ontario, and Québec.
The Hudson Bay Lowlands were once part of Hudson Bay and are known as one of the flattest parts of Canada. The Hudson Bay Lowlands were created over long periods of time. As the glaciers from the Ice Age slowly melted away, the level of the land got higher. Since the land is near sea level, it is marshy and water does not drain away.
The Hudson Bay Lowlands region has the largest area of wetlands in the world. Wetlands are lands that are covered with water all or almost all of the time. Much of the Hudson Bay Lowlands has permafrost, which means that the ground stays frozen all year round. Only the surface of the ground thaws in the summer. Permafrost is another reason why the water does not drain away easily.
The Hudson Bay Lowlands region has a climate very similar to the northern part of the Canadian Shield. The winters are long and cold. The summers are short and warm. During the winter, precipitation mostly falls as snow.
• The Hudson Bay Lowlands are mostly muskeg or peat-forming wetland.
• There are long marshes along the coastline of Hudson Bay and James Bay.
• In the southwestern part of the Hudson Bay Lowlands, there are thick forests of trees such as white spruce, white birch, and balsam poplar.
• birds such as snow geese, whistling swans, ducks, and loons
• sea life such as seals and walruses
• mammals such as caribou, Arctic foxes, weasels, and polar bears
Now, show what you know!
Complete some questions about the reading selection by clicking “Begin Questions” below.
0 of 9 questions completed
You have already completed this activity. You cannot start it again.
Activity is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to take this activity.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 9 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed.
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Score: of ()
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. Fill in the blank using information from the text.
The Hudson Bay Lowlands are located around the part of Hudson Bay and James Bay.
2. Parts of which provinces are included in the Hudson Bay Lowlands? Choose all that apply.CorrectIncorrect
3. Near sea level, the land is very dry.CorrectIncorrect
4. What are wetlands?CorrectIncorrect
5. Fill in the blank using information from the text.
means that the ground stayes frozen all year round.
6. What is the climate like in the Hudson Bay Lowlands?CorrectIncorrect
7. What is most of the Hudson Bay Lowlands covered in?CorrectIncorrect
8. White spruce, white birch, and balsam poplar grow in the forests of the Hudson Bay Lowlands.CorrectIncorrect
9. Choose the animals that live in the Hudson Bay Lowlands.CorrectIncorrect