How to share this Lesson/Activity with your Google Classroom:
- To share this lesson/activity with Google Classroom, click "Continue with Google" to get started.
- After logging in, click "Add to Google Classroom" to assign this lesson/activity to your students.
Read the Following Selection
Read the following selection, or click on the play button below to listen aloud.
The Grasshopper and the Ant
Based On a Fable By Aesop
It was a summer day. Grasshopper was singing. He loved to sing all day long. Ant walked by. She was carrying a big piece of corn.
“That corn is heavy,” said Grasshopper. “You look tired. Stop and take a rest. You can sing with me. Singing is fun.”
“I have no time to rest,” said Ant. “I must gather food now.
I do not want to be hungry when winter comes. I cannot find food in winter.”
“It is summer,” said Grasshopper. “Winter is a long time away. You should have fun on a fine summer day.”
“I must take this corn to my home,” said Ant. “Then I will look for more food. You should look for food, too. What will you eat in winter?”
“I will think about winter later,” said Grasshopper. “Today I am having fun singing.”
Every day, Grasshopper sang. Every day, Ant carried more food to her home. The days got colder and winter came. Grasshopper got very hungry. He could not find any food. He went to visit Ant.
“Ant, I am hungry,” said Grasshopper. “Can you give me some food?”
“No, I cannot,” said Ant. “I need my food to last all winter. I worked hard all summer to gather food for winter. You had fun all summer. You did not think of the future, so now you are hungry.”
Now, show what you know!
Complete some questions about the reading selection by clicking “Begin Questions” below.
0 of 5 questions completed
You have already completed this activity. You cannot start it again.
Activity is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to take this activity.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 5 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed.
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Score: of ()
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. How does Grasshopper like to have fun?CorrectIncorrect
2. Why does Grasshopper tell Ant to stop and take a rest?CorrectIncorrect
3. Why was Grasshopper hungry when winter came?CorrectIncorrect
4. Grasshopper thought about what he would eat when winter came and was prepared. Is this true or false?CorrectIncorrect
5. This story teaches people a lesson. What is the lesson of the story?CorrectIncorrect