How to share this Lesson/Activity with your Google Classroom:
- To share this lesson/activity with Google Classroom, click "Continue with Google" to get started.
- After logging in, click "Add to Google Classroom" to assign this lesson/activity to your students.
Read the Following Selection
Read about the forgotten kingdoms, or click on the play button below to listen aloud.
The Forgotten Kingdoms
People rarely think about organisms in the Monera, Protista, and Fungi kingdoms.
The Monera Kingdom
• only one cell
• most simple cell structure
• reproduce by splitting in two
• most absorb nutrients from outside their bodies
Bacteria are everywhere. They turn milk into yogourt and cheese. They help decompose waste. They can keep us healthy or make us sick. They are used to produce many medicines that treat diseases. Although we cannot see them, bacteria are very important in our lives.
The Protista Kingdom
• do not fit in any other kingdom
• not bacteria, fungi, plants, or animals
• most have only one cell
• more complex cell structure than moneras
• live mostly in water, but can survive in moist soil and inside animals
• most reproduce by splitting in two
Protists are classified according to how they move and how they get nutrition. So there are animal-like protists, plant-like protists, and fungus-like protists. Algae are plant-like protists. They produce their own food. Amoebas are animal-like protists. They consume other organisms for food. Drinking water that contains certain types of amoebas can make people sick. Slime moulds are fungus-like protists. They absorb nutrients from their environment.
The Fungi Kingdom
• many cells
• get nutrients from dead plants and animals
• decomposers that help turn dead organisms into nutrients that make soil rich
Fungi are used to produce many medicines. We eat some types of fungi. Yeast is a fungus used for baking. Some fungi can cause infections, such as athlete’s foot and ringworm. Others can damage crops.
Now, show what you know!
Complete some questions about the reading selection by clicking “Begin Questions” below.
0 of 5 questions completed
You have already completed this activity. You cannot start it again.
Activity is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to take this activity.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 5 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed.
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Score: of ()
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. Which kingdom has a more complex cell structure than moneras?CorrectIncorrect
2. Which kingdom has many cells?CorrectIncorrect
3. Which kingdom do bacteria belong in?CorrectIncorrect
4. Which kingdom do amoebas belong in?CorrectIncorrect
5. Summarize what you have learned about the Monera, Protista, and Fungi kingdoms.
Great answer!Great answer!
Type your response above.