Read the Following Selection
Read the following selection, or click on the play button below to listen aloud.
The Cordillera is a region of mountains found on the west side of Canada, next to the Pacific Ocean. The Cordillera region includes the province of British Columbia and some parts of Yukon, Alberta, and the Northwest Territories.
The Cordillera region includes many different landforms: mountains, hills, plateaus, and valleys. There are also many lakes and major river systems. The Fraser River system is the largest. There are also several mountain ranges in the Cordillera region including the Columbia
Mountains, Rocky Mountains, and the Coast Mountains.
These mountain ranges were formed millions of years ago, when enormous folds of rocks bent and crushed against each other.
The northern part of the Cordillera region has cold winters and cool summers. There are warmer temperatures in the southern part of the Cordillera region. Along the
coast, there are mild winters, warm summers, and lots of rainfall. The ocean helps to keep areas near the coast cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.
• Most forests in the Cordillera region are coniferous. The Giant Sequoia is the largest coniferous trees in Canada. They are found in the rainforest near the Pacific Coast.
• Many plants, shrubs, and trees grow larger on the coast compared to other places.
• There is little vegetation at the tops of the high mountains.
• Grassland is the natural vegetation of much of the interior plateau.
• polar bears and caribou in the far north
• birds such as eagles, ravens, and owls
• marine life such as whales, sea lions, and seals
• mammals such as deer, elk, and lynx
• fish such as salmon, trout, halibut, herring, and northern pike
• Okanagan Valley for growing fruit
• gold, silver, copper, and zinc
• fish such as salmon and halibut
• lead, sand, and gravel
Now, show what you know!
Complete some questions about the reading selection by clicking “Begin Questions” below.
0 of 9 questions completed
You have already completed this activity. You cannot start it again.
Activity is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to take this activity.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 9 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed.
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Score: of ()
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. What areas does the Cordillera region include?CorrectIncorrect
2. What landforms are found in the Cordillera region? Choose all that apply.CorrectIncorrect
3. What is the largest river system in the Cordillera region?CorrectIncorrect
4. Choose the mountain ranges in the Cordillera region.CorrectIncorrect
5. What is the climate of the areas near the coast?CorrectIncorrect
6. Fill in the blanks using information from the text.
Giant Sequoia are the largest trees in Canada and are found in the near the Pacific Coast.
7. Choose the types of plants that grow in the wild in the Cordillera.CorrectIncorrect
8. What types of animals live in the Cordillera? Choose all that apply.CorrectIncorrect
9. Choose the kinds of natural resources that are found in the Cordillera.CorrectIncorrect