How to share this Lesson/Activity with your Google Classroom:
- To share this lesson/activity with Google Classroom, click "Continue with Google" to get started.
- After logging in, click "Add to Google Classroom" to assign this lesson/activity to your students.
How to share this Lesson/Activity with Microsoft Teams:
- To share this lesson/activity with Microsof Teams, click "Continue with Microsoft" to get started.
- After logging in, click "Add to Microsoft Teams" to assign this lesson/activity to your students.
Read the Following Selection
Read the following selection, or click on the play button below to listen aloud.
Squirrels have adaptations to help them survive.
What Is an Adaptation?
An adaptation is something that helps an animal survive. There are two types of adaptions. Some adaptations are body parts. Other adaptations are things the animal does.
Squirrel Body Parts
Squirrels have strong teeth. Squirrels like to eat nuts. Nuts have a hard shell on the outside. Squirrels use their teeth to break open the shell on a nut. Strong teeth are an adaptation.
Squirrels have sharp claws. Sharp claws help squirrels climb trees. Sharp claws also help squirrels hold on to nuts when they are eating. Sharp claws are an adaptation.
Things a Squirrel Does
Squirrels bury nuts. Squirrels dig up the nuts when it is hard to find food. Burying nuts to eat later is an adaptation.
Squirrels climb trees. Climbing up a tall tree is how squirrels get away from danger. Climbing trees is an adaptation.
Squirrels make noises when danger is near. The noises tell other squirrels that danger is near. Making noises to warn of danger is an adaptation.
Now, show what you know!
Complete some questions about the reading selection by clicking “Begin Questions” below.
0 of 5 questions completed
You have already completed this activity. You cannot start it again.
Activity is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to take this activity.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 5 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed.
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Score: of ()
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. What do adaptations help all animals do?CorrectIncorrect
2. Body parts and things the animal does are the two types of adaptations. Choose true or false.CorrectIncorrect
3. How does burying nuts help squirrels survive?CorrectIncorrect
4. Which adaptation does a squirrel use to help other squirrels?CorrectIncorrect
5. Which adaptation helps a squirrel hold a nut while it’s eating?CorrectIncorrect