How to share this Lesson/Activity with your Google Classroom:
- To share this lesson/activity with Google Classroom, click "Continue with Google" to get started.
- After logging in, click "Add to Google Classroom" to assign this lesson/activity to your students.
How to share this Lesson/Activity with Microsoft Teams:
- To share this lesson/activity with Microsof Teams, click "Continue with Microsoft" to get started.
- After logging in, click "Add to Microsoft Teams" to assign this lesson/activity to your students.
Read the Following Selection
Read about skyscraper window washing, or click on the play button below to listen aloud.
Skyscraper Window Washing
Skyscrapers are very tall buildings. How does the outside of the windows stay clean? Skyscraper window washers keep them clean. These workers must not be afraid of being up in very high places.
Booms and Bosun’s Chairs
Most window washers stand on a platform called a boom. The boom is attached to ropes, and the ropes are attached to the skyscraper’s roof. The boom starts out at the top floor of the skyscraper. When one floor’s windows have been washed, the boom moves down to the next floor. A boom is long. It has room for two or more window washers to stand on it.
Some window washers sit while they work. They use a special seat called a bosun’s chair. The bosun’s chair is attached to ropes that are attached to the building’s roof. A bosun’s chair has room for only one person.
How do window washers keep from falling? They wear a harness. A harness has straps that go around a person’s chest and back. The harness is attached to the boom or bosun’s chair. Window washers who fall off a boom or bosun’s chair do not fall to the ground. They hang at the end of the rope and can be pulled back up to the roof.
You won’t see window washers working on very windy days. Wind can make a boom or bosun’s chair move back and forth. It’s hard to wash a window if you are moving back and forth!
Now, show what you know!
Complete some questions about the reading selection by clicking “Begin Questions” below.
0 of 5 questions completed
You have already completed this activity. You cannot start it again.
Activity is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to take this activity.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 5 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed.
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Score: of ()
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. Some window washers use a special seat. What is this seat called?CorrectIncorrect
2. A brave person is not afraid. Why do window washers need to be brave?CorrectIncorrect
3. Choose the pieces of information that are true about both booms and bosun’s chairs.CorrectIncorrect
A cause is something that makes something happen. It answers the question “why did this happen.”
An effect is what happened as a result of the cause. It answers the question “what happened.”
4. Which sentence tells the cause? Which sentence tells the effect? Drag each sentence to the correct spot.
- It is a very windy day.
- Window washers do not work.
5. Fill in the blank using information from the text.
A harness has straps that go around a person’s and .