How to share this Lesson/Activity with your Google Classroom:
- To share this lesson/activity with Google Classroom, click "Continue with Google" to get started.
- After logging in, click "Add to Google Classroom" to assign this lesson/activity to your students.
Read the Following Selection
Read about simple machines working together, or click on the play button below to listen aloud.
Simple Machines Working Together
Some machines have simple machines in them.
Scissors are made up of two levers and wedges. The two handles you squeeze are levers. The scissors cut because the blades are sharp-edged wedges.
A shovel is also made up of a lever and a wedge. The blade is a wedge. It helps you cut into the ground. The handle is the lever. Your hands are the support, or fulcrum that the lever balances on. It lets you lift the dirt more easily.
A bicycle uses many simple machines. The wheels and axles on a bicycle are easy to see. Each brake is a set of levers. Gears make the wheels turn.
Living with Machines
Simple machines and devices make life easier for people. Machines help us get around. They help us move large and heavy things.
Machines Make Life Better
There are many ways machines help us. Wheelchairs allow people with disabilities to get around. Wheelchairs roll easily because they have wheels and axles. People in wheelchairs cannot roll up stairs. But they can roll up inclined planes.
Simple machines and mechanisms make life more fun. Pianos use levers. When you press a key, a lever hits a string. This makes a sound. People also use machines such as treadmills to be fit and healthy. Treadmills have inclined planes that can make exercising more difficult or easier.
Now, show what you know!
Complete some questions about the reading selection by clicking “Begin Questions” below.
0 of 5 questions completed
You have already completed this activity. You cannot start it again.
Activity is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to take this activity.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 5 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed.
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Score: of ()
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. A can opener combines multiple simple machines to work.CorrectIncorrect
2. What kind of simple machine is a staircase?CorrectIncorrect
3. What is a tool that makes it easier to move things?CorrectIncorrect
4. Two wheels can be attached using what?CorrectIncorrect
5. Simple machines cannot be used together.CorrectIncorrect