How to share this Lesson/Activity with your Google Classroom:
- To share this lesson/activity with Google Classroom, click "Continue with Google" to get started.
- After logging in, click "Add to Google Classroom" to assign this lesson/activity to your students.
Read the Following Selection
Read the following selection, or click on the play button below to listen aloud.
Saying “I Am Sorry!”
Saying “I am sorry” is called apologizing. It is not always easy to apologize to someone, but it can help make things better.
When Should People Apologize?
Sometimes we do things we know we should not do. You might argue with a friend and say mean things to her. You might break a rule at school or at home. When you know you did something wrong, apologizing is the right thing to do.
What If It Was Not My Fault?
Sometimes accidents happen. You might step on someone’s foot by mistake. It is still a good idea to apologize. Apologizing can be a way of saying, “I wish that did not happen.”
What If I Did Not Start the Problem?
Imagine a student says something mean to you in the school hallway. You get angry, grab a book out of his hand, and throw it down the hall. You might think, “I did not start it, so I do not have to apologize.”
The student was wrong to be mean to you. That does not make it right for you to throw his book. Even if you did not start the problem, you should apologize for what you did wrong.
What If I Do Not Feel Sorry?
People can tell if you say “I am sorry” and you do not really mean it. Apologizing when you are not sorry does not help much. Maybe you are still feeling angry, so you do not want to apologize. Take some time to calm down and think about what happened. Then try apologizing. The other person might still be angry with you, but you will probably feel better about yourself. Why? You will know you did the right thing.
Now, show what you know!
Complete some questions about the reading selection by clicking “Begin Questions” below.
0 of 5 questions completed
You have already completed this activity. You cannot start it again.
Activity is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to take this activity.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 5 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed.
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Score: of ()
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. Fill in the blank using information from the text.
Saying “I am sorry” is called .
2. If you argue with someone and yell at them, why might it be hard to apologize right away?CorrectIncorrect
3. The text says it is a good idea to apologize if you do something by accident.
Do you agree people should apologize when they do something by accident? Tell why or why not.
Great answer!Great answer!
Type your response above.
4. Apologizing when you are not sorry does not help much.CorrectIncorrect
5. What is something you can do if you feel too angry to apologize?CorrectIncorrect