How to share this Lesson/Activity with your Google Classroom:
- To share this lesson/activity with Google Classroom, click "Continue with Google" to get started.
- After logging in, click "Add to Google Classroom" to assign this lesson/activity to your students.
Read the Following Selection
Read about rain and sleet, or click on the play button below to listen aloud.
Rain and Sleet
Rain is a liquid that falls from the sky. If the weather is cold enough, rain can freeze and become a solid. Rain can become freezing rain, sleet, or hail. Sleet is tiny pellets of ice that is sometimes mixed with rain or snow. Hail is balls of ice.
When freezing rain falls, sidewalks and roads become very icy. You have to walk very carefully so you do not slip and fall.
Freezing rain and sleet can affect people in many ways. Driving a car is very difficult when roads are covered with sleet. The roads are icy and slippery.
Freezing rain can also damage trees. Branches coated with ice can be very heavy. That can make them break off and fall.
Layers of ice can also build up on electrical wires. They may also break and fall down. That means homes and other buildings would not have power.
Now, show what you know!
Complete some questions about the reading selection by clicking “Begin Questions” below.
0 of 5 questions completed
You have already completed this activity. You cannot start it again.
Activity is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to take this activity.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 5 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed.
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Score: of ()
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. Freezing rain can be dangerous for people.CorrectIncorrect
2. What can rain become if it gets cold enough? Choose all that apply.CorrectIncorrect
3. Choose what can be affected by freezing rain.CorrectIncorrect
4. Hail can happen all year round.CorrectIncorrect
5. Why do branches coated with ice sometimes break and fall off?CorrectIncorrect