How to share this Lesson/Activity with your Google Classroom:
- To share this lesson/activity with Google Classroom, click "Continue with Google" to get started.
- After logging in, click "Add to Google Classroom" to assign this lesson/activity to your students.
Read the Following Selection
Read the following selection, or click on the play button below to listen aloud.
Pyramids of Ancient Egypt
The pyramids of ancient Egypt are so old that nobody knows exactly when they were built. We do know that the pyramids are thousands of years old. Why have the pyramids lasted so long?
A pyramid is a very strong shape. It is large at the bottom and small at the top. This makes the pyramid very stable, so it can stand up to forces that act on it such as wind or an earthquake.
To make a structure last a long time, it is important to use strong building materials. The pyramids were built with huge blocks of stone. Stone is a strong building material, and it lasts for a very long time. The blocks at the bottom of a pyramid are strong enough to support the weight of all the blocks higher up.
Pyramid builders shaped the blocks on the outside of a pyramid very carefully. They knew that if the blocks fit together perfectly, with no space in between, the pyramid would be stronger and more stable. Some pyramid blocks fit together so perfectly that you cannot slip a piece of paper between them!
Some Pyramids Were Stronger Than Others
Not all pyramids were built to be as strong and stable as the ones that are still standing today. Some pyramids have started to fall apart over time. These pyramids were also built of stone, but they were not built as carefully as the pyramids that have lasted for thousands of years.
Now, show what you know!
Complete some questions about the reading selection by clicking “Begin Questions” below.
0 of 5 questions completed
You have already completed this activity. You cannot start it again.
Activity is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to take this activity.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 5 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed.
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Score: of ()
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. When we say that a structure is stable, what do we mean?CorrectIncorrect
2. Stone was a good building material for the pyramids because it is strong and it lasts for a very long time.CorrectIncorrect
3. Why is it important for the bottom of a large structure to be strong?CorrectIncorrect
4. Some experts believe it took about 20 years for ancient Egyptians to build a large pyramid.
Why do you think it took so long? (Hint: Think about the tools and equipment ancient people would use.)
Great answer!Great answer!
Type your response above.
5. Fill in the blank using information from the text.
Stone is a building material, and it lasts for a very long time.