Read the Following Selection
Read about places in the community, or click on the play button below to listen aloud.
Places for Everyone in a Community
Most communities have places everyone can use.
In some ways, a library is like a big bookstore. Both places have lots of different books. Workers in both places can help you find the book you want or a book you might like reading.
People buy books from a bookstore. It is free to take out books from a library. People can’t keep library books forever. They need to take the book back to the library by a certain date. That date is called the due date.
Most people do not have a backyard with a pool. A community pool is a place where anyone can swim. On a very hot day, most community pools are very busy. Community pools have lifeguards that keep people safe. Lifeguards make sure everyone follows the rules, like no running around the pool.
Parks usually have grass and trees. Some parks have gardens with flowers. Many parks have places where children can play. They might have swings and slides and things that children can climb on.
Workers look after parks to keep them looking nice. They cut the grass, water the flowers, and pick up litter. Anyone can go to a park to enjoy spending time outdoors.
Now, show what you know!
Complete some questions about the reading selection by clicking “Begin Questions” below.
Brain Stretch: Have you been to a library, community pool, or park before? Draw a picture of the experience and write a caption for it.
0 of 5 questions completed
You have already completed this activity. You cannot start it again.
Activity is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to take this activity.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 5 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed.
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Score: of ()
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. Choose each piece of information that is true about Libraries and BookstoresCorrectIncorrect
2. When must a library book be returned by?CorrectIncorrect
3. Why are most community pools very busy on a very hot day?CorrectIncorrect
4. A cause is what makes an effect happen.Which sentence tells the cause? Which sentence tells the effect? Drag each sentence to the correct spot.
- Workers cut the grass and pick up litter in parks.
- Parks always look nice.
5. Choose if the following statement is a fact or opinion: I really like the slides at the park.CorrectIncorrect