How to share this Lesson/Activity with your Google Classroom:
- To share this lesson/activity with Google Classroom, click "Continue with Google" to get started.
- After logging in, click "Add to Google Classroom" to assign this lesson/activity to your students.
Read the Following Selection
Read the following selection, or click on the play button below to listen aloud.
Old Cat and Little Cat
Based On a Chinese Folktale
Old Cat picked up his fishing pole. “Can I come fishing, too?” asked Little Cat as she jumped and hopped about. “Please can I come?”
“You need to be still and quiet, or you will not catch any fish,” said Old Cat. Little Cat promised to be still and quiet. “We will see about that,” Old Cat said to himself. He let Little Cat come fishing.
When they got to the river, Old Cat said, “Here is a good spot.” He sat down and started fishing. Little Cat was about to sit beside him when a dragonfly flew by.
“A dragonfly!” shouted Little Cat. She dropped her fishing pole and chased the dragonfly, but it got away. When she returned, she saw that Old Cat had caught a big fish. “I want to catch a big fish, too,” she said. Old Cat said nothing.
Little Cat sat down and started to fish. Soon she shouted, “Look, a butterfly!” Little Cat chased the butterfly, but it got away. When she returned, she saw that Old Cat had caught another big fish. “You are catching all the fish,” Little Cat said to Old Cat. “You are not leaving any fish for me!”
“Listen,” Old Cat said softly. “If you want to catch fish, you have to sit here and fish. You cannot chase dragonflies and butterflies and catch fish at the same time. Choose one thing to do and stick to it.”
Little Cat sat quietly by the river and fished. A dragonfly flew by, but Little Cat did not move. A butterfly flew by, but Little Cat kept on fishing. Soon after that, Little Cat caught a great big fish.
Now, show what you know!
Complete some questions about the reading selection by clicking “Begin Questions” below.
0 of 5 questions completed
You have already completed this activity. You cannot start it again.
Activity is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to take this activity.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 5 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed.
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Score: of ()
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. Why does Old Cat say to himself, “We will see about that.”CorrectIncorrect
2. Old Cat gets angry when Little Cat does not stay still and quiet.CorrectIncorrect
3. A folktale often teaches a lesson that is useful to readers. What is the lesson in this story?
Great answer!Great answer!
Type your response above.
4. What are two things cats do in this story that real cats cannot do? Choose all that apply.CorrectIncorrect
5. Fill in the blank using information from the text.
Old Cat said “Choose one thing to do and to it.”