How to share this Lesson/Activity with your Google Classroom:
- To share this lesson/activity with Google Classroom, click "Continue with Google" to get started.
- After logging in, click "Add to Google Classroom" to assign this lesson/activity to your students.
Read the Following Selection
Read about machines, or click on the play button below to listen aloud.
Machines Need Energy
Machines need energy to work. Where does the energy come from?
Plug It In
Some machines have a plug at the end of a cord. The plug goes into a wall outlet. Energy from the wall outlet goes into the machine. Now the machine will work.
Be safe! Stay away from wall outlets. Ask an adult to put a plug into a wall outlet. Ask an adult to pull out a plug.
Some machines do not have a cord with a plug. How do they get energy? They get energy from batteries.
The energy in batteries gets used up over time. Then the machine stops working. It is time to put in new batteries.
Be safe! Ask an adult to put new batteries in a toy or machine.
You can use rechargeable batteries over and over again. What happens when all the energy is used up? You can use a recharger. A recharger puts more energy into batteries.
A recharger has a plug that goes into a wall outlet. Energy from the wall outlet goes into the batteries.
Soon the batteries are full of energy again. They are ready to go back into a machine.
Be safe! Children should not use a recharger. Always ask an adult to recharge batteries.
Now, show what you know!
Complete some questions about the reading selection by clicking “Begin Questions” below.
0 of 5 questions completed
You have already completed this activity. You cannot start it again.
Activity is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to take this activity.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 5 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed.
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Score: of ()
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. Choose how each machine would get energy.
This machine needs a wall outlet
This machine needs batteries
A machine that has a plug
A machine that does not have a cord and plug
2. What happens to the energy in batteries over time?CorrectIncorrect
3. How does a flashlight get energy?CorrectIncorrect
4. Which object requires batteries?CorrectIncorrect
5. What kind of energy does a computer require?CorrectIncorrect