How to share this Lesson/Activity with your Google Classroom:
- To share this lesson/activity with Google Classroom, click "Continue with Google" to get started.
- After logging in, click "Add to Google Classroom" to assign this lesson/activity to your students.
Read the Following Selection
Read the following selection, or click on the play button below to listen aloud.
How Does a Greenhouse Work?
What Is a Greenhouse?
In some seasons, it is too cold for plants to grow outside. A greenhouse is a place where plants can grow all year long. Some of the fresh fruits and vegetables you can buy in winter were grown in a greenhouse.
What Materials Are Used to Build a Greenhouse?
A greenhouse has a strong frame made of steel or wood. The walls and roof are made of glass or clear plastic.
How Does a Greenhouse Help Plants Grow?
Plants need light and warmth. The walls and roof of a greenhouse let in lots of sunlight. The sunlight helps keep the greenhouse warm, even when it is cold outside. The glass or plastic traps warmth from sunlight inside the greenhouse.
Plants also need water. Some greenhouse gardeners water plants by hand. A large greenhouse might have sprinklers to keep the soil moist.
How Do Greenhouses Avoid Getting Too Hot on Sunny Days?
On a very sunny day, lots of sunlight comes into the greenhouse. Sometimes the air in the greenhouse starts to get too warm for the plants. Some greenhouses have windows that open. The warm air flows out the windows so the air inside gets cooler. Some greenhouses use fans that can blow the hot air outside. Fans help keep the temperature of the greenhouse just right.
Now, show what you know!
Complete some questions about the reading selection by clicking “Begin Questions” below.
0 of 5 questions completed
You have already completed this activity. You cannot start it again.
Activity is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to take this activity.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 5 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed.
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Score: of ()
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. Fruits and vegetables can grow in a greenhouse even when it is too cold for them to grow outside.CorrectIncorrect
2. A greenhouse can have walls and a roof made of plastic.
Why is it important to use clear plastic on a greenhouse?CorrectIncorrect
3. Why do greenhouses have fans or windows that open?CorrectIncorrect
4. Even if it is cloudy for a week, the plants in a greenhouse do not die.CorrectIncorrect
5. Fill in the blank using information from the text.
A greenhouse has a strong made of steel or wood.