How to share this Lesson/Activity with your Google Classroom:
- To share this lesson/activity with Google Classroom, click "Continue with Google" to get started.
- After logging in, click "Add to Google Classroom" to assign this lesson/activity to your students.
Read the Following Selection
Read about how things get energy, or click on the play button below to listen aloud.
How Do Plants, Animals, and People Get Energy?
Plants get energy from the Sun. They use the energy in sunlight to make food for themselves. The food gives the plant energy to grow.
People and animals cannot get energy from sunlight. Plants contain energy from the Sun. People and animals can eat plants to get energy.
Many people and some animals get energy from eating meat. Meat comes from animals. For example, people eat beef which comes from cows. Cows contain energy they got from eating plants such as grass. The grass got energy from sunlight. All of this energy started out as the energy in sunlight.
sunlight –> plants –-> small animal –> snake –> hawk
A hawk eats snakes. Snakes do not eat plants, but they do eat small animals that eat plants. Look at how the energy that starts as sunlight gets to the hawk.
Now, show what you know!
Complete some questions about the reading selection by clicking “Begin Questions” below.
0 of 5 questions completed
You have already completed this activity. You cannot start it again.
Activity is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to take this activity.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 5 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed.
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Score: of ()
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. All food contains energy. Where does the energy come from first?CorrectIncorrect
2. What do plants use energy to do?CorrectIncorrect
3. People use energy to grow and move.CorrectIncorrect
4. How does energy from the Sun get into a cow?CorrectIncorrect
5. Fill in the blank using information from the text.
sunlight –> plants –-> –> snake –> hawk