How to share this Lesson/Activity with your Google Classroom:
- To share this lesson/activity with Google Classroom, click "Continue with Google" to get started.
- After logging in, click "Add to Google Classroom" to assign this lesson/activity to your students.
Read the Following Selection
Read the following selection, or click on the play button below to listen aloud.
What Is Hanukkah?
Hanukkah is a Jewish celebration that happens every year. Hanukkah starts on a different date each year. Sometimes Hanukkah starts in November, and sometimes it starts in December. Hanukkah lasts for eight days and nights.
Hanukkah is an important celebration for Jewish people around the world.
How Do People Celebrate Hanukkah?
An important part of Hanukkah is the lighting of the Hanukkah menorah. The Hanukkah menorah holds one candle in the middle and four candles on each side. The candle in the middle is for lighting the other candles.
People often play a game called dreidel (say it like this: dray-del). A dreidel is a spinning top with four sides. Each side has a different Hebrew letter on it. Hebrew letters are different from English letters.
People sing special Hanukkah songs. One song is about the dreidel.
There are special foods that many people eat during Hanukkah. One food is potato pancakes. Another food is doughnuts filled with jam.
People often give each other gifts during Hanukkah.
Now, show what you know!
Complete some questions about the reading selection by clicking “Begin Questions” below.
0 of 5 questions completed
You have already completed this activity. You cannot start it again.
Activity is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to take this activity.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 5 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed.
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Score: of ()
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. Which sentence tells you that Jewish people celebrate Hanukkah in many different countries?CorrectIncorrect
2. Look at the picture of the Hanukkah menorah. How is the middle candle different from the other candles?CorrectIncorrect
3. How many Hebrew letters are on a dreidel?CorrectIncorrect
4. What special Hanukkah food hides a sweet surprise inside?CorrectIncorrect
5. The candles on the right of a menorah is for lighting the other candles. Is this true or false?CorrectIncorrect