How to share this Lesson/Activity with your Google Classroom:
- To share this lesson/activity with Google Classroom, click "Continue with Google" to get started.
- After logging in, click "Add to Google Classroom" to assign this lesson/activity to your students.
Read the Following Selection
Read about growing plants for food, or click on the play button below to listen aloud.
Growing Plants for Food
Read about four places where people grow plants for food.
Farms have large fields where plants grow. Many farms grow corn, wheat, and oats. Wheat is used to make bread. Many breakfast cereals contain oats. Corn is used in food and other products.
Most types of fruit grow on trees. An orchard is a tree farm. Many orchards in Canada grow apple trees and peach trees. Some orchards grow trees or bushes that produce nuts. Walnuts grow on trees. Peanuts grow in the ground under a bushy plant.
Greenhouses are buildings with roofs and walls made of glass. All that glass lets in sunlight. Plants growing inside get a lot of light. Sunlight also provides plants with the warmth they need to grow.
Greenhouses are warm inside. This makes it possible to grow plants in colder weather. Tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, and lettuce are some of the foods that grow in greenhouses.
Many people grow food in a home garden.
They might grow carrots, tomatoes, lettuce, and green beans. Food from a home garden is fresher than food from a grocery store. Growing your own vegetables is fun!
Now, show what you know!
Complete some questions about the reading selection by clicking “Begin Questions” below.
0 of 5 questions completed
You have already completed this activity. You cannot start it again.
Activity is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to take this activity.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 5 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed.
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Score: of ()
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. Trees in an orchard are planted far apart from each other. You can see this when the trees are very young. Why is it important to plant trees far apart?CorrectIncorrect
2. How do greenhouses help us have vegetables during winter?CorrectIncorrect
3. Why is food from a home garden fresher than food from a grocery store?CorrectIncorrect
4. Fill in the blank using information from the text.
An orchard is a .
5. Greenhouses can only grow one type of fruit or vegetable at a time.CorrectIncorrect