How to share this Lesson/Activity with your Google Classroom:
- To share this lesson/activity with Google Classroom, click "Continue with Google" to get started.
- After logging in, click "Add to Google Classroom" to assign this lesson/activity to your students.
Read the Following Selection
Read the following selection, or click on the play button below to listen aloud.
Get Your Sleep
Your Body Needs Sleep
Your muscles, bones, and skin are growing all the time. Your body needs sleep to help you grow. Sleep also helps your body repair itself. If you have a sore muscle or a cut, sleep helps your body heal.
If you want to stay healthy, get lots of sleep. Sleep helps your body fight germs so you don’t get sick.
Your Brain Needs Sleep
Your brain works better when you get lots of sleep. If you do not get enough sleep, it is harder for you to remember things, pay attention, and concentrate on what you are doing. You will also have a harder time solving problems if you do not get enough sleep.
Sleep Helps Your Mood
Sleep helps to keep you in a good mood. When you are tired, you might be grumpy and get angry quickly. You might find it harder to get along with friends and family.
How Much Sleep Do You Need?
Children between 5 and 12 years old should sleep for 10 or 11 hours each night. If you are sick, you might need even more sleep.
Tips for Getting a Good Night’s Sleep
• Make sure your bedroom is dark, quiet, and not too warm.
• Go to bed at the same time each night. That will help your body learn when it is time to go to sleep.
• Getting exercise helps you sleep at night. Do not exercise too close to bedtime. Your body needs time to relax before sleeping.
Now, show what you know!
Complete some questions about the reading selection by clicking “Begin Questions” below.
0 of 5 questions completed
You have already completed this activity. You cannot start it again.
Activity is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to take this activity.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 5 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed.
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Score: of ()
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. Maria broke her arm. Would getting more sleep help her arm get better?CorrectIncorrect
2. Sanjay is 8 years old. He gets up at 7:00 a.m. and goes to bed at 10:00 p.m. Does he get enough sleep?CorrectIncorrect
3. Why is it a bad idea to exercise right before bedtime?CorrectIncorrect
4. Fill in the blank using information from the text.
Sleep helps your body fight so you don’t get sick.
5. Having your bedroom too warm can make it harder to sleep.CorrectIncorrect