How to share this Lesson/Activity with your Google Classroom:
- To share this lesson/activity with Google Classroom, click "Continue with Google" to get started.
- After logging in, click "Add to Google Classroom" to assign this lesson/activity to your students.
Read the Following Selection
Read the following selection, or click on the play button below to listen aloud.
Rain falls from the sky. Sometimes the air close to the ground is very cold. When rain hits the ground, it freezes into ice. Rain that freezes is called freezing rain.
Freezing rain makes ice on roads. Icy roads can be dangerous. Cars can slip and slide. Cars might have trouble stopping. Ice on roads can make cars crash into each other.
Freezing rain makes ice on sidewalks. People can slip and slide on an icy sidewalk. Sometimes people fall and get hurt.
Sand makes ice less slippery. People put sand on icy roads and sidewalks. Sand helps to keep people and cars from slipping and sliding.
Salt makes ice melt. People put salt on icy roads and sidewalks to melt the ice.
Freezing rain makes ice on trees. Ice makes tree branches heavy. Lots of ice can make a tree branch break and fall. Falling branches can be dangerous. They can hurt people. Falling branches can also damage cars and houses.
Sometimes freezing rain makes ice on outdoor skating rinks. That makes skaters happy. Skaters need slippery ice to skate on.
Now, show what you know!
Complete some questions about the reading selection by clicking “Begin Questions” below.
0 of 5 questions completed
You have already completed this activity. You cannot start it again.
Activity is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to take this activity.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 5 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed.
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Score: of ()
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. Water freezes when it gets very cold. What makes rain get so cold it freezes?CorrectIncorrect
2. What is the second paragraph about?CorrectIncorrect
3. What does putting sand on icy sidewalks do?CorrectIncorrect
4. What does putting salt on icy sidewalks do?CorrectIncorrect
5. Ice on trees can make the branches heavy enough to fall off.CorrectIncorrect