Read the Following Selection
Read the following selection, or click on the play button below to listen aloud.
Forms of Energy
Energy is the ability to do work. We use energy in everything we do. Our bodies use energy to grow. Cars use energy to move. Stoves use energy to cook food. Energy comes in many forms. Here are some examples:
• Chemical energy is energy that is stored in certain substances. Wood has chemical energy. When we burn wood, it releases its chemical energy.
• Motion energy or mechanical energy is motion that does work. Wind has motion energy. When wind moves, it can turn a windmill.
• Thermal energy is heat energy. We use heat energy to warm our homes.
• Electrical energy is movement, light, heat, or sound caused by electricity. Lightning is an example of electrical energy in nature. Electrical energy makes light bulbs work.
Sources of Energy
We get energy from different sources. Some of these sources are renewable. Renewable sources can be replaced or grown again. Examples of renewable sources include wind and trees. Here are some examples of energy from renewable sources:
• Biomass is energy from burning plants or garbage.
• Geothermal energy is heat energy from below Earth’s surface.
• Hydroelectricity is energy from moving water.
• Solar energy is energy from the Sun.
• Wind energy is energy from wind.
We use renewable energy sources mainly to make electricity.
Most of our sources of energy are non-renewable. Non-renewable sources cannot be replaced because they take a very long time to form. Non-renewable sources include oil, natural gas, and coal. We use these sources mainly to produce electricity, heat, and gasoline. Oil, coal, and natural gas are fossil fuels. This means they have formed millions of years ago.
Now, show what you know!
Complete some questions about the reading selection by clicking “Begin Questions” below.
0 of 5 questions completed
You have already completed this activity. You cannot start it again.
Activity is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to take this activity.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 5 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed.
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Score: of ()
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. Choose the form of energy the example below shows.
Throwing a bowling ball at the pins.CorrectIncorrect
2. Choose the form of energy the example below shows.
Water falling over a dam.CorrectIncorrect
3. Choose the form of energy the example below shows.
A battery in a flashlight.CorrectIncorrect
4. Choose the form of energy the example below shows.
Turning on a gas fireplace.CorrectIncorrect
5. Choose the form of energy the example below shows.
A computer plugged into a wall outlet.CorrectIncorrect