How to share this Lesson/Activity with your Google Classroom:
- To share this lesson/activity with Google Classroom, click "Continue with Google" to get started.
- After logging in, click "Add to Google Classroom" to assign this lesson/activity to your students.
Read the Following Selection
Read the following selection, or click on the play button below to listen aloud.
What Is Diwali?
Diwali is a festival that started in India. Diwali lasts for five days. Each year, people celebrate Diwali on different dates. Sometimes Diwali is in October, and sometimes it is in November.
Indian families around the world celebrate Diwali.
How Do People Celebrate Diwali?
Many people clean their homes on the first day of Diwali. They believe this will bring them good luck.
Diwali is sometimes called the Indian Festival of Lights. People light oil lamps or candles in their homes. Some people put strings of lights on the outside of their homes.
People wear their best clothes for Diwali. Some people buy new clothes to wear during Diwali.
People give each other small gifts. Many people give each other sweet treats to eat. Some people give candles as gifts.
Diwali can be a loud celebration. Some people light firecrackers that make a loud bang. Fireworks are also part of Diwali. The fireworks explode with a bang. Then they fill the sky with colourful lights.
Now, show what you know!
Complete some questions about the reading selection by clicking “Begin Questions” below.
0 of 5 questions completed
You have already completed this activity. You cannot start it again.
Activity is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to take this activity.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 5 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed.
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Score: of ()
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. Who celebrates Diwali?CorrectIncorrect
2. Why can Diwali be a noisy celebration?CorrectIncorrect
3. Diwali lasts for eight days. Is this true or false?CorrectIncorrect
4. What do people sometimes give each other during Diwali?CorrectIncorrect
5. Sometimes Diwali is in October, and sometimes it is in November. Is this true or false?CorrectIncorrect