How to share this Lesson/Activity with your Google Classroom:
- To share this lesson/activity with Google Classroom, click "Continue with Google" to get started.
- After logging in, click "Add to Google Classroom" to assign this lesson/activity to your students.
Read the Following Selection
Read the following selection, or click on the play button below to listen aloud.
Deforestation happens when people cut down all the trees in a large area of a forest and do not plant new trees. Large parts of our planet were once covered with forests. In the last 200 years, about half of these forests have been cut down.
Reasons for Deforestation
• People need trees to make lumber for construction projects and various kinds of paper products. In parts of the world where people do not have electricity, wood is used for heating homes and cooking.
• Farmers need more land for planting crops and raising animals.
• As cities grow larger, more space is needed for building homes, stores, and factories.
• The land under a forest may contain valuable natural resources, such as oil, natural gas, or minerals. People deforest the land so they can mine these underground natural resources.
What Happens When Forests Are Destroyed
• Forest trees protect the soil from the heat of the sun. The roots of trees help to hold the soil in place. When forests are destroyed, the soil dries out and there are no roots to hold the soil in place. Then rain can erode, wash away, the soil.
• Forests provide a habitat for many different types of plants and animals. When forests are destroyed, some plants and animals can become endangered or extinct.
• Carbon dioxide is a gas in the air that leads to climate change. Plants absorb carbon dioxide and give off oxygen. When forests are destroyed, more carbon dioxide remains in the air and makes climate change worse.
Now, show what you know!
Complete some questions about the reading selection by clicking “Begin Questions” below.
0 of 5 questions completed
You have already completed this activity. You cannot start it again.
Activity is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to take this activity.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 5 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed.
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Score: of ()
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. Why it might be difficult for new trees to grow in an area that was deforested?CorrectIncorrect
2. Why was climate change not a big problem 200 years ago?CorrectIncorrect
3. Fill in the blanks using information from the text.
When forests are destroyed, some plants and animals can become or .
4. How could reusing and recycling wood and paper products help animals?
Great answer!Great answer!
Type your response above.
5. Deforestation happens when people plant trees in a large area of a forest.CorrectIncorrect