How to share this Lesson/Activity with your Google Classroom:
- To share this lesson/activity with Google Classroom, click "Continue with Google" to get started.
- After logging in, click "Add to Google Classroom" to assign this lesson/activity to your students.
Read the Following Selection
Read the following selection, or click on the play button below to listen aloud.
David Suzuki is a Canadian scientist. He became famous for helping Canadians learn more about science. He teaches people about nature and how they can help to protect the environment.
David is a Japanese Canadian. A Japanese Canadian is someone who is a Canadian citizen and has ancestors from Japan.
David was born in 1936 in Vancouver, British Columbia. Later, David’s family moved to Ontario. After high school, David went to university in the United States to become a scientist. Then he returned to Canada and taught at a university in British Columbia.
Teaching People About Nature
When David was young, his father helped him to become interested in nature. As a scientist, David learned more about nature and the environment. He saw that people can help or hurt nature. He wanted to share his knowledge with people who were not scientists.
In 1970, David started a television show about science for kids. Four years later, he started a radio show about science for adults. He went on to create many more television shows about science and nature. Some of these television shows won awards and were seen in countries around the world.
David has written more than 50 books about science, including many books for kids. His books and television shows teach people that it is important to care about nature. They also tell people what they can do to help protect nature and the environment.
Now, show what you know!
Complete some questions about the reading selection by clicking “Begin Questions” below.
0 of 5 questions completed
You have already completed this activity. You cannot start it again.
Activity is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to take this activity.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 5 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed.
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Score: of ()
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. There are many different topics in science. What science topics is David most interested in?CorrectIncorrect
2. Which Canadian province has David lived in at two different times?CorrectIncorrect
3. Which two facts in the text tell you that David thinks it is important for young people to learn about science?
Great answer!Great answer!
Type your response above.
4. Some of David Suziki’s television shows were seen in countries around the world.CorrectIncorrect
5. Fill in the blank using information from the text.
David has written more than books about science.