How to share this Lesson/Activity with your Google Classroom:
- To share this lesson/activity with Google Classroom, click "Continue with Google" to get started.
- After logging in, click "Add to Google Classroom" to assign this lesson/activity to your students.
Read the Following Selection
Read the following selection, or click on the play button below to listen aloud.
Convincing People to Buy a Product
Advertising tries to convince people to buy the product that is advertised. What are some ways that advertising tries to do this?
Give Facts About the Product
A fact is a piece of information that is always true. Here is an example of a fact: Space Crunch cereal is made from wheat. The company that makes this cereal can prove that it is always made from wheat. This is a fact because it is always true.
Give Opinions About the Product
An opinion is a piece of information that is true for some people, but not for everyone. Here is an example of an opinion: Yummy Crunch is the best cereal I have ever tasted. Some people might agree that Yummy Crunch is the best cereal they have ever tasted. Other people might think that another type of cereal tastes better. The opinion that Yummy Crunch tastes best is not true for everyone.
Compare the Product to Similar Products
Imagine that you have created a new cereal called Tasty Bites. You want to convince people to buy your cereal instead of Yummy Crunch. Your advertising could compare Tasty Bites to Yummy Crunch. Here are two examples:
• Tasty Bites has more vitamins than Yummy Crunch.
• Tasty Bites has a toy inside, but Yummy Crunch does not.
Now, show what you know!
Complete some questions about the reading selection by clicking “Begin Questions” below.
0 of 5 questions completed
You have already completed this activity. You cannot start it again.
Activity is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to take this activity.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 5 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed.
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Score: of ()
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. Match the sentence to whether it is a fact or an opinion.
Super Fast running shoes come in four different colours.
You will love your new Super Fast running shoes.
2. Match the sentence to whether it is a fact or an opinion.
Race to Win comes with four game pieces and two dice.
Your whole family will enjoy playing the Race to Win board game.
3. Comparing your product to a competitor’s product can convince people to buy yours. Is this true or false?CorrectIncorrect
4. Is the advertisement in the picture using a fact or an opinion?CorrectIncorrect
5. Fill in the blank using information from the text.
Advertising tries to convince people to the product that is advertised.