How to share this Lesson/Activity with your Google Classroom:
- To share this lesson/activity with Google Classroom, click "Continue with Google" to get started.
- After logging in, click "Add to Google Classroom" to assign this lesson/activity to your students.
Read the Following Selection
Read about condo and apartment buildings, or click on the play button below to listen aloud.
Condo Buildings and Apartment Buildings
Some buildings contain homes for many people. These homes may be condos or apartments. (Condos is the short from of the word condominiums.)
Both condos and apartments have a kitchen, a bathroom, and one or more other rooms, such as bedrooms. If there is just one more room, people use it as a bedroom and a living room. Some larger condos and apartments have more than one bathroom.
A condo is a home people buy, so they own the space they live in. If they want to move out, they sell the condo to someone else. Condo prices usually go up over time. One advantage of living in a condo is that when people want to move out, they can often sell their condo for more money than they paid for it.
People do not buy and own an apartment. Instead, each month they pay an amount of money called rent. Because people do not own an apartment, they cannot sell it when they move out. One advantage of living in an apartment is that people do not have find someone who wants to buy it when they want to move out.
Condo owners also pay some money each month. This money is called the maintenance fee or condo fee.
Both apartment buildings and condo buildings need workers to vacuum the hallways, clean the elevators, and look after any grass or gardens outside. Workers need to be paid to do these jobs. In an apartment building, some of the rent people have paid is used to pay the workers. In a condo building, some of the maintenance fee people pay is used to pay the workers.
Now, show what you know!
Complete some questions about the reading selection by clicking “Begin Questions” below.
0 of 5 questions completed
You have already completed this activity. You cannot start it again.
Activity is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to take this activity.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 5 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed.
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Score: of ()
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. The money condo owners pay each month is called a condo fee, or what?CorrectIncorrect
2. One advantage of a condo is that people can sometimes sell it for more money than they paid for it. What does advantage mean?CorrectIncorrect
3. Choose each piece of information that is true about condos and apartments.CorrectIncorrect
A cause is something that makes something happen. It answers the question “why did this happen.”
An effect is what happened as a result of the cause. It answers the question “what happened.”
4. Which sentence tells the cause? Which sentence tells the effect? Drag each sentence to the correct spot.
- People sell a condo for more than they paid for it.
- Condo prices go up over time.
5. Fill in the blank using information from the text.
Condos is the short from of the word .