How to share this Lesson/Activity with your Google Classroom:
- To share this lesson/activity with Google Classroom, click "Continue with Google" to get started.
- After logging in, click "Add to Google Classroom" to assign this lesson/activity to your students.
Read the Following Selection
Read the following selection, or click on the play button below to listen aloud.
When people build structures, they need to choose the materials that will work best in the structure. Here are some things people think about when choosing materials.
Strength: A structure must be strong enough to hold its load. To build a strong structure, you need to use materials that are strong. Shape adds strength, too.
Flexibility: A flexible material can bend without breaking. Most diving boards are made of flexible materials. One end of the diving board bends down when the diver jumps on it. Then the diving board goes back to the shape it was in, and this pushes the diver up in the air.
Durability: A durable material is one that will last a long time. A building made of stone blocks will last much longer than a building made of wood. Stone is a more durable material than wood.
People also think about how easy it is to shape the material. Wet concrete and clay can be shaped by pouring them into a mould. Steel can be melted and poured into a mould. Wood can easily be cut into different shapes. Machines can cut stone into blocks. Making other shapes from stone is more difficult.
Now, show what you know!
Complete some questions about the reading selection by clicking “Begin Questions” below.
0 of 5 questions completed
You have already completed this activity. You cannot start it again.
Activity is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to take this activity.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 5 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed.
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Score: of ()
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. Some ancient stone buildings are still standing more than 1000 years after they were built.
What properties does this tell you stone has?CorrectIncorrect
2. A strong material is one that will last a long time.CorrectIncorrect
3. Fill in the blank using information from the text.
A building made of stone blocks will last than a building made of wood.
4. Materials, and what else add strength to structures?CorrectIncorrect
5. Wood can be melted and poured into a mould.CorrectIncorrect