Read the Following Selection
Read the following selection, or click on the play button below to listen aloud.
Caffeine and Kids
What Is Caffeine?
Caffeine (say it like this: ca-feen) is something that you find in some drinks, such as coffee and tea. There is also caffeine in some cola drinks, iced tea, and energy drinks.
What Does Caffeine Do?
Caffeine makes you feel more awake. It can also give you a short burst of energy. Your heart beats faster when caffeine is in your body.
Why Can Caffeine Be a Problem for You?
Like many kids, you probably enjoy cola drinks. If you drink too much cola in a day, your body gets too much caffeine. What happens if you drink too much caffeine?
• You might feel nervous or worried, or be in a bad mood.
• You can get an upset stomach.
• You might get a headache.
• You can have problems concentrating.
• You might have trouble falling asleep at night.
Why Should You Stay Away From Energy Drinks?
Energy drinks usually contain the most caffeine. Some energy drinks have three times more caffeine than cola does. These drinks have far too much caffeine for kids.
Tips for Kids
1. Drink milk, water, or fruit juice. These contain no caffeine.
2. Ask your parents not to buy pop that contains caffeine.
3. Do not drink more than one can or glass of caffeine cola in a day. Make sure you do not drink it too close to bedtime.
Energy drinks can harm people’s bodies and damage their health, so it is best to avoid them. It is better to get your energy from good healthy food and drinks. That way, you can have lots of energy to study, play, and grow without doing any harm to your body.
Now, show what you know!
Complete some questions about the reading selection by clicking “Begin Questions” below.
0 of 5 questions completed
You have already completed this activity. You cannot start it again.
Activity is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to take this activity.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 5 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed.
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Score: of ()
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. What cold drinks can contain caffeine? Choose all that apply.CorrectIncorrect
2. Some people drink caffeine drinks if they did not get enough sleep the night before. Why?CorrectIncorrect
3. What part of the body works harder when you drink caffeine?CorrectIncorrect
4. If you drink caffeine close to bedtime it will help you fall asleep.CorrectIncorrect
5. Fill in the blank using information from the text.
It is better to get your energy from good food and drinks.