How to share this Lesson/Activity with your Google Classroom:
- To share this lesson/activity with Google Classroom, click "Continue with Google" to get started.
- After logging in, click "Add to Google Classroom" to assign this lesson/activity to your students.
Read the Following Selection
Read about body coverings, or click on the play button below to listen aloud.
Body coverings are adaptations. Body coverings such as skin protect animals. Skin helps animals stay warm and dry.
Hair and Fur
Most mammals have skin covered with hair or fur. Your skin is covered with hair!
Fur: A polar bear has skin covered with thick fur. This helps the bear stay warm.
Hair: An elephant has only a little bit of hair. This helps pull heat away from its body.
Wet Skin: Amphibians such as frogs have thin, wet skin. This helps them breathe.
Feathers: Birds have skin covered with feathers. Feathers help birds stay warm and dry. They also help birds fly.
Scales: Fish have skin covered with wet scales. The scales protect the skin.
Shells: Insects have a shell but no skin. The shell is dry and hard. The shell helps keep the beetle from drying out.
Now, show what you know!
Complete some questions about the reading selection by clicking “Begin Questions” below.
0 of 5 questions completed
You have already completed this activity. You cannot start it again.
Activity is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to take this activity.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 5 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed.
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Score: of ()
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. List two types of body coverings that help animals.
Great answer!Great answer!
Type your response above.
2. Turtles are the only reptiles that have shells.
How do you think a shell helps a turtle?CorrectIncorrect
3. Choose the animal that has fur.CorrectIncorrect
4. Choose the animal that has dry scales.CorrectIncorrect
5. Did you know that porcupines have quills growing from their skin? What might the quills be used for?CorrectIncorrect