How to share this Lesson/Activity with your Google Classroom:
- To share this lesson/activity with Google Classroom, click "Continue with Google" to get started.
- After logging in, click "Add to Google Classroom" to assign this lesson/activity to your students.
Read the Following Selection
Read the following selection, or click on the play button below to listen aloud.
Blog or News?
Is it a blog or is it news? Do you know the difference between a blog and a news report or article? You can find both on many websites, and sometimes they will be about the same subject. Read the following two items that were posted on a book publisher’s website:
On April 23, the new book by Ana Grimley arrived for sale in bookstores across the country. Her new book is called The Far Away Country, a sequel to her first book, Closer to Home. The two books are the first in a planned series of four, which together will complete the journey of the book’s hero, Justine Waverley. Justine was introduced in Closer to Home. In this book, the readers learned about this extraordinary young woman and the problems faced by her family and the town she lived in. In The Far Away Country, Justine leaves to find a solution and travels to a place full of danger, but also full of hope. The Far Away Country is written for middle readers, ages 9 to 12. This 137-page softcover book has a suggested price of $11.99.
The long-awaited sequel to Closer to Home has finally arrived. And it was worth the wait. The Far Away Country is even better than the first book. It will keep you glued to the pages, long past the time when you should be asleep. The author, Ana Grimley, has invented a new world so amazing and dazzling, it comes alive in your mind. And Justine once again proves she is no ordinary young woman. This book was written for 9- to 12-year-olds but, like the first book, older kids and even adults will read it and love it. So run, do not walk, to your nearest bookstore and buy it. You will not be sorry. —Henry Chan
Can you tell which is the news article and which is the blog? Here are some hints:
• News articles give factual information. They can announce new products or upcoming events. News articles are usually more formal. They should be objective, or not influenced by personal feelings.
• Blogs give ideas, views, and opinions on something. They may also include factual information, but the focus is on opinion. The writing in blogs is usually more informal. A blog is usually signed by the person who wrote it.
Why is it important to know about different forms of writing? The more you know, the more quickly you can find the information you want. If it is facts you are looking for, check a news article. If you want to know what different people think about something, check a blog.
Now, show what you know!
Complete some questions about the reading selection by clicking “Begin Questions” below.
0 of 5 questions completed
You have already completed this activity. You cannot start it again.
Activity is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to take this activity.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 5 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed.
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Score: of ()
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. Which item is a news article?CorrectIncorrect
2. What are the similarities and differences between the news article and the blog? Explain fully.
Great answer!Great answer!
Type your response above.
3. What is the difference between formal and informal writing?CorrectIncorrect
4. What is the meaning of the word sequel?CorrectIncorrect
5. News articles give opinions on things.CorrectIncorrect