Read the Following Selection
Read the following selection, or click on the play button below to listen aloud.
Your birthday comes on the day you were born. Many people have a special celebration on their birthday.
Different cultures have different birthday traditions. Read about how some children in Canada and the United States celebrate birthdays.
A Birthday Party
Friends and relatives come to a birthday party. Sometimes there are balloons. There might be other decorations, too.
Cards and Gifts
People bring cards and gifts for the birthday girl or boy. The gifts are wrapped in colourful paper. It is fun to open the gifts.
A Birthday Cake with Candles
People eat birthday cake at a birthday party. The top of the cake might say Happy Birthday! There are candles on top of the cake.
Two things happen before it is time to eat the cake. First, people sing a song called “Happy Birthday to You.” Then the birthday girl or boy blows out the candles on the cake. Now it is time to eat cake!
Now, show what you know!
Complete some questions about the reading selection by clicking “Begin Questions” below.
0 of 5 questions completed
You have already completed this activity. You cannot start it again.
Activity is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to take this activity.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 5 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed.
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Score: of ()
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. Your birthday comes on a special day. What happened on this special day?CorrectIncorrect
2. Does everybody celebrate birthdays the same way?CorrectIncorrect
3. Why is each birthday gift a surprise?CorrectIncorrect
4. What happens before the birthday girl or boy blows out the candles on the cake?CorrectIncorrect
5. What is something special children wear at some birthday parties? Hint: look at the picture for help!CorrectIncorrect