How to share this Lesson/Activity with your Google Classroom:
- To share this lesson/activity with Google Classroom, click "Continue with Google" to get started.
- After logging in, click "Add to Google Classroom" to assign this lesson/activity to your students.
Read the Following Selection
Read the following selection, or click on the play button below to listen aloud.
Big and Blue
What is the biggest animal on Earth? This animal is even bigger than a dinosaur. Can you guess the animal? It is a blue whale.
Baby Blue Whales
A baby blue whale has just come out of its mother’s body. The newborn whale weighs as much as an adult elephant. The baby drinks lots of milk from the mother. Baby blue whales grow quickly.
Adult Blue Whales
Everything about an adult blue whale is big. The whale’s body is as long as three school buses. The whale’s tongue is so big that 50 people could stand on it. The whale’s heart is as big as a small car. Your heart is as big as your fist.
Blue Whales Breathe Air
Whales are mammals. All mammals breathe air into their lungs. A blue whale breathes through two holes on top of its head. These holes are called blowholes. They are close together, like your nostrils.
The whale swims to the surface of the water to breathe. The top of the whale’s head sticks out of the water. The whale blows old air out of the blowholes. Then it sucks fresh air into the blowholes.
Now, show what you know!
Complete some questions about the reading selection by clicking “Begin Questions” below.
0 of 5 questions completed
You have already completed this activity. You cannot start it again.
Activity is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to take this activity.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 5 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed.
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Score: of ()
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. When is a baby whale a newborn whale?CorrectIncorrect
2. What food helps a baby blue whale grow quickly?CorrectIncorrect
3. Complete the sentences by matching them.
an adult elephant
three school buses
A blue whale is bigger than…
A newborn blue whale weighs as much as…
An adult blue whale has a body that is as long as…
4. How many fins does a blue whale have?CorrectIncorrect
5. A blue whale breathes through blowholes. Choose true or false.CorrectIncorrect