How to share this Lesson/Activity with your Google Classroom:
- To share this lesson/activity with Google Classroom, click "Continue with Google" to get started.
- After logging in, click "Add to Google Classroom" to assign this lesson/activity to your students.
Read the Following Selection
Read the following selection, or click on the play button below to listen aloud.
Bicycles have two sets of gears. The front gears are connected to the pedals. The back gears are connected to the rear wheel. The bicycle chain connects the front gears to the back gears. Changing gears changes the amount of force needed to move forward.
High Speed, Low Speed
Notice the different sizes of the gears at the back. The smaller gears are the high speed. The larger gears are the low speed.
In low speed, the chain is on the largest gear. This largest gear moves the back wheel about as fast as you move the pedals. The bicycle moves more slowly than in higher speed, but pedalling is easier.
When the bike is in high speed, the chain moves onto the smallest gear. The wheel moves many times each time the pedal turns. The bicycle moves more quickly, but you have to pedal harder.
Input and Output
Machines need a force to make them work. The input component of a machine is the part that makes the other parts move. On a bicycle, the pedals are the input component.
The output component of a machine is the last part that moves. Bicycle pedals make the rear wheel move. The rear wheel is the output component.
Now, show what you know!
Complete some questions about the reading selection by clicking “Begin Questions” below.
0 of 5 questions completed
You have already completed this activity. You cannot start it again.
Activity is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to take this activity.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 5 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed.
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Score: of ()
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. Which gear makes riding uphill easier—the smallest gear or the largest?CorrectIncorrect
2. Which gear is better for racing on a flat road—the smallest or the largest?CorrectIncorrect
3. Bicycle gears change the direction of motion.CorrectIncorrect
4. Bicycle gears change the amount of force needed.CorrectIncorrect
5.A tricycle does not use gears or a chain. The pedals move the front wheel.
Which is the output component—the front wheel or the back wheels?CorrectIncorrect