How to share this Lesson/Activity with your Google Classroom:
- To share this lesson/activity with Google Classroom, click "Continue with Google" to get started.
- After logging in, click "Add to Google Classroom" to assign this lesson/activity to your students.
Read the Following Selection
Read the following selection, or click on the play button below to listen aloud.
Antarctica is a continent at the bottom of the world. The South Pole is found in Antarctica.
An Icy Desert
A desert is a place where there is very little precipitation (rain and snow). There is almost no precipitation in Antarctica, so scientists call it a desert. Many deserts are hot places. Antarctica is very cold. Almost all the land in Antarctica is covered by a thick sheet of ice. Where there is no ice, the land is rocky.
A Home for Animals, But Not for People
No people live in Antarctica all the time. Every year, many scientists travel there to learn about the land and animals. They do not stay for long because Antarctica is a difficult place to live and work.
Many different types of penguins and seals live in Antarctica. One kind of penguin in Antarctica is called the emperor penguin. It is the world’s tallest penguin and can grow up to 1 m tall. Penguins and seals hunt for food in the ocean around Antarctica.
Plants in Antarctica
No trees or bushes grow in Antarctica. Moss grows in rocky areas. Some grasses grow in rocky areas, but these grow for only a short time when the weather is a little warmer.
Now, show what you know!
Complete some questions about the reading selection by clicking “Begin Questions” below.
0 of 5 questions completed
You have already completed this activity. You cannot start it again.
Activity is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to take this activity.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 5 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed.
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Score: of ()
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. The land in many deserts is sandy. How is the land in Antarctica different?CorrectIncorrect
2. How does the ocean help penguins and seals survive in Antarctica?CorrectIncorrect
3. What makes the emperor penguin unusual?CorrectIncorrect
4. Antarctica is a difficult place to live and work because it is so cold. Think of another reason why it would be a difficult place to live and work.
Use information from the text and your own ideas.
Great answer!Great answer!
Type your response above.
5. Antarctica is called a desert because there is almost no precipitation.CorrectIncorrect