How to share this Lesson/Activity with your Google Classroom:
- To share this lesson/activity with Google Classroom, click "Continue with Google" to get started.
- After logging in, click "Add to Google Classroom" to assign this lesson/activity to your students.
Read the Following Selection
Read the following selection, or click on the play button below to listen aloud.
Ancient Cave Paintings
In 1940 in France, four boys found a cave in the woods. When they went inside to explore, they made an amazing discovery. On the walls there were beautiful paintings of animals! The boys brought their teacher to the cave. When the teacher saw the paintings, he knew they were very, very old. Today, people believe the paintings are over 15 000 years old.
What Do the Paintings Show?
The paintings show many different animals, such as horses, bulls, and deer. Some of the paintings are very large. One painting of a bull is over 5 m long! There are over 900 animal paintings inside the cave.
How Were the Paintings Made?
The artists made their own paints from materials in nature. Some paints were made from different colours of dirt. Other paints were made from rocks that were crushed into a powder.
Sometimes the artists put paint into their mouth and blew it onto the cave wall. Sometimes they blew the paint through a tube, such as a hollow bone. In a few places, the artists used rocks to scratch lines into the cave wall.
Keeping the Paintings Safe
Today, only a few scientists are allowed to enter the cave. This helps to keep the paintings safe. Other people might touch the paintings and some of the paint might come off.
Now, show what you know!
Complete some questions about the reading selection by clicking “Begin Questions” below.
0 of 5 questions completed
You have already completed this activity. You cannot start it again.
Activity is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to take this activity.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 5 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed.
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Score: of ()
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. What clue in the text tells you that the boys thought the paintings might be important?CorrectIncorrect
2. The cave with the paintings is very dark. The paintings were made long before light bulbs and flashlights were invented.
How do you think the artists were able to see when they were painting?
Great answer!Great answer!
Type your response above.
3. How did the artists make paint?CorrectIncorrect
4. Anybody is allowed to enter the caves to see the paintings.CorrectIncorrect
5. Fill in the blank using information from the text.
Sometimes the artists blew paint through a tube, such as a hollow .