How to share this Lesson/Activity with your Google Classroom:
- To share this lesson/activity with Google Classroom, click "Continue with Google" to get started.
- After logging in, click "Add to Google Classroom" to assign this lesson/activity to your students.
Read the Following Selection
Read about sand, or click on the play button below to listen aloud.
All About Sand
You can find sand on beaches and in sandboxes. Have you ever wondered what sand is made of?
Sand is mostly tiny pieces of rock. Each tiny piece of sand is called a grain of sand. Over time, water and wind can break up big rocks into smaller rocks. Small rocks can break up into tiny grains of sand.
A grain of sand is very light. Wind can pick up sand and move it to different places. Water can also move sand. Waves move sand onto beaches.
Colours of Sand
Sand can be different colours. Most sand is brown or grey. Around the world, you can see beaches with white sand, pink sand, or black sand.
It takes a volcano to make black sand. Molten rock called lava flows out of a volcano that is erupting. The lava cools and becomes hard, black rock. Black sand comes from this kind of rock. That is why beaches with black sand are close to volcanoes.
Ways We Use Sand
Sand is used in many different ways. Here are some examples.
• Sand is used to make asphalt. Asphalt is what roads are made of.
• A special kind of sand is used to make glass.
• Sandpaper is made from grains of sand glued to paper.
• In winter, trucks spread sand on icy roads. The sand helps keep cars from sliding on the ice.
• Sandbags are large cloth bags filled with sand. People stack sandbags to make walls that block the water in floods.
Now, show what you know!
Complete some questions about the reading selection by clicking “Begin Questions” below.
Brain Stretch: If possible, view a few grains of sand through a magnifying glass. Note any variations in colour, size, and shape among the grains.
0 of 5 questions completed
You have already completed this activity. You cannot start it again.
Activity is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to take this activity.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 5 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed.
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Score: of ()
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. What is one piece of sand called?CorrectIncorrect
2. Choose each piece of information that make black sand different than all kinds of sand.CorrectIncorrect
3. Molten rock called lava flows out of volcanoes. What does molten mean?CorrectIncorrect
A cause is something that makes something happen. It answers the question “why did this happen.”
An effect is what happened as a result of the cause. It answers the question “what happened.”
4. Which sentence tells the cause? Which sentence tells the effect? Drag each sentence to the correct spot.
- Trucks spread sand on icy roads.
- Cars do not slide on ice on the road.
5. Fill in the blank.
Sand is used to make asphalt. Asphalt is what are made of.